Five Common Household Dangers for Your Furry Friend

As National Animal Poison Prevention Week (March 19 to 25) nears, our team wishes to spread awareness of some common household items that could be toxic for your beloved pets.


#1: Medications

Unfortunately, many beloved pets suffer from the consequences of consuming household medications. As food-motivated pups are particularly prone to snatching up fallen pills or raiding bags for pill bottles, these mistakes can be life-threatening if an overdose is experienced. To prevent any potential harm, contact an animal poison control hotline immediately in case your pet accidentally ingests a medication!

#2: Food

The kitchen is a veritable treasure trove of deliciousness for your pet, but can also be incredibly dangerous. Common toxins such as chocolate, macadamia nuts, and xylitol – not to mention avocados, unbaked yeast dough, alcohol, grapes, and raisins – pose serious health risks like kidney failure or seizures if ingested by pets. To minimize the risk of poisoning from these deadly foods it’s important to keep them out of reach at all times; banning Fido from the kitchen should help with that! Additionally, purchase a locking trash can so inquisitive noses don’t root through any leftovers you may have thrown away.


#3: Household chemicals

To keep your pet safe, it is essential that you securely store away all of the common household chemicals which could be toxic if ingested in large quantities. Make sure to lock up the following:

  • Cleaning products
  • Disinfectants
  • Aerosol air fresheners and other products
  • Candles
  • Antifreeze
  • Windshield washer fluid
  • Paint
  • Glue
  • Nail polish remover


#4: Houseplants

From lilies to ivy, many plants and the chemicals used to nourish them can be highly toxic for our furry companions. For cats specifically, contact with even a single grain of lily pollen could prove fatal. Some other indoor threats include dieffenbachia, elephant ear, and spider plants; outdoor dangers consist of ivy and oleander among others. Before you buy a bouquet or add any greenery in your home or garden, please check the ASPCA’s poisonous plant list first – it’s essential that we keep our pets safe!


#5: Batteries and coins

An unfortunate consequence of pets chewing on batteries or coins is metal poisoning. Pets can suffer from severe chemical burns if they puncture a battery, and are swallowed whole, the battery could cause a deadly blockage in their gastrointestinal tract.


If you believe your furry companion has been exposed to a hazardous material, don’t hesitate to reach out to our team right away.